There are a lot of verses in the Bible that can be used for Mindfulness exercise. I I will provide a few here in the next few posts, but once you get used to how you like to meditate you will most likely start to see your own verses that you would like to practice with. One of your goals in these exercises might be to experience the reality of connection to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit.
There are no time limits for these exercises, but it may be that, as you first start doing them, you are unable to sit in the meditation that long. This is perfectly okay. Just let your body or your mind decide its limits. Longer periods, even 15 minutes might be a stretch at first. No Rules!
With practice of mindfulness you may find that you are reacting less intensely to stressors and not as often. You may be aware of a sense of calmness that smooths over agitating thoughts. This is your body and mind using the skills it has learned from your mindfulness exercises.
Mindfulness Exercise One:
Step by Step into the Light
(based on 1 John 1:7)
“If we walk step by step into the light, where the Father is, then we are ultimately connected to each other through the sacrifice of Jesus, His son. His blood purifies us from all our sins.”
1. Find a comfortable spot to sit or lay. Close your eyes and loosen arms so they rest against you in a floppy manner. You may like to put your hands palms up to remain open to the Lord.
2. Focus on your breath, breathing from your diaphragm. Deep breath in count one, slight pause, full breath out- count 1. If you find thoughts interrupting you, that’s normal. Just notice them and go back to your breath, starting again at 1. It doesn’t matter how many times you have to go back to 1, our minds are alive with chatter- that’s how God made us!
3. As your breathing calms you, stop counting it and imagine a scene where you step forward. Just one step, but you begin to feel and see light.
4. Slowly take another step and notice the light becoming a bit stronger. Know that the light is God, the Father. Bask in this with every slow step you take.
5. As you come fully into the light notice how gorgeous it is in temperature, aroma, color. You are now fully into the Light of the Father and you feel a love that you’ve never felt before. Bask in this.
6. Feel the connection to every soul around you and even farther unto the ends of the Earth. We are all connected by the blood of Jesus.
7. Thoughts and judgements may still be dropping into your mind but you move them over and allow the purification of your soul, the utter forgiveness and love that cannot be duplicated. Rest here for as long as you like.
8. When you are ready, slowly open your eyes and move your body. Feel the Light as you go about your daily duties.
That’s it. Try it!
BTW: Here’s my latest Spiritual Journal page for your viewing pleasure: